Vicovaro is a small village rich in history, architecture and archaeology: its territory has been visited by people since prehistory, as shown by the findings under the evocative Saint Benedict’s Hermitages in San Cosimato.
The hermitages of St. Benedict overlook a high cliff located on the Aniene river and show a unique striking view.
The chapel of St. James the Major is one of the most significant architectural examples of Gothic-Renaissance style. Inside the church, you can find the painting of the Venerated Madonna.
The ancient Church of Saint Mary of Grace was a votive chapel belonging to the Orsini family. After the passing of Saint Francis, it underwent several transformations.
In 1191 Pope Celestine III granted the feud of Varia to his nephews, Counts Orsini of Tagliacozzo. The ancient settlement of Vicus Variae became a Ghibelline stronghold.
The church of Saint Peter the Apostle was born as an Orsini's stronghold, then transformed into a palace by the dynastic family Bolognetti.
The monument to the martyrs of Pratarelle was erected in memory of the victims of the massacre executed by the Nazis which took place on the 7th of June 1944 in the Pratarelle area.
The church of Saint Roch was a stopover for the pilgrims on their journey. Built by the Confraternity of Saint Roch, it greeted the procession dedicated to the Saint on the 16th of August.
Built on the ruins of the ancient Roman walls, the church dedicated to the Saints Cosmas and Damian underwent several reconstructions changing its aspect over the centuries.
The Church of St. Anthony the Abbot is located on the south of Vicovaro. It was founded in ancient times by the Confraternity of the SS. Cross of Vicovaro in the 15th century.
The church of Saint Salvatore was probably built in the medieval period on the ruins of a roman building. This church is characterized by a mixture of style
The church of Saint Sabino was built on the ruins of a rectangular opus mixtum building from the Roman period. In the course of time, this church underwent several restorations.
The sepulchre of Caio Menio Basso is located at the Ramanna hillside slopes, in the area of a modern pit. It results from a reconstruction which took place in 1825.
Click on the pointer to visit the page of the site you are interested in, full of information, photos, videos, virtual tours and more contents.